The Portrayal of Sexual Double Standards in Popular Media
The sexism found in popular media is no secret. When it comes to sex, media often presents a double standard that favors men and discriminates against women. Women are commonly seen as sexual objects to be ogled, judged, and slut-shamed. Men, on the other hand, are celebrated and praised for their behavior. Let’s dive into the issue of sexual double standards in popular media:
Addressing Sexual Double Standards
In order to address sexual double standards in popular media, we must first identify them:
- Women are objectified – While men are seen as providers and preachers in media, women’s worth is often judged by their looks, bodies, and sexuality.
- Slut-shaming – Women who have multiple sexual partners are often labeled as “sluts,” while men in the same situation are praised or celebrated.
- Sex as a reward/incentive – Media often portrays women as giving sexual favors in return for help or favors. Women are seen as sexually obligated to men in order to get what they want.
These stereotypes are damaging to women and lead to the maintenance of a patriarchal and oppressive system.
In order to create a more equal society, it is essential to challenge these sexual double standards in popular media. Women’s sexuality should be celebrated and respected. Men too must be held accountable for their actions in terms of sexual behavior and respect for women. Additionally, all genders should be presented as multi-dimensional characters with unique personalities and values.
It is up to creators of media and consumers of media to promote an inclusive, equitable, and diverse representation of sexual relationships. It is our duty to reject and call out the perpetuation of toxic double standards. By taking a stand and holding the media accountable to its responsibility to promote equality and respect, we can strive for a better, more equal future.
- “The Double Standard of Sex: How Women Are Viewed as Inherently Sexual Objects and Men Are Not”. Psybe, October 10, 2019. https://www.psybe.com/discrimination/double-standard-of-sex/
- “7 Examples of Gender Stereotypes in Media”. Equity Feminist, February 11, 2021. https://www.equityfeminist.com/gender-stereotypes-in-media/