The Benefits of a Healthy and Open-Minded Attitude Towards Sex
People often associate sex with guilt and shame. However, adopting a healthy and open-minded attitude towards sex is essential for both physical and mental wellbeing. Here we highlight the benefits of this attitude.
Improved Physical Health
There are many physical benefits to adopting a healthy attitude towards sex. Some of these are:
- Reduced stress – Sexual activity has been linked to reducing stress levels, due to the release of endorphins, the body’s natural ‘happy’ hormone.
- Improved sleep – Orgasm has been linked to improved sleep quality. This may be due to the natural relaxation of the body during intercourse.
- Strengthened immunity – Having sex is believed to strengthen the immune system, providing more protection against illnesses such as colds and flu.
Improved Mental Health
As well as physical benefits, attitude towards sex can have a positive impact on mental health. Some of the most significant ways this can occur include:
- Increased confidence – A positive attitude towards sex can help to increase a person’s self-esteem. This is especially true when engaging in consensual, satisfying sexual activity.
- Less anxiety – Experimenting with different aspects of sex can help to reduce anxiety, such as performance anxiety, as well as improve body image and self-confidence.
- Heightened Intimacy – Healthy attitudes towards sex can help to improve the intimacy in relationships. This can be enhanced by engaging in different aspects of sexual activity and experimenting with different techniques.
Adopting a healthy and open-minded attitude towards sex is essential if we want to realise these many benefits. It is important to remember that sex should be consensual, safe and enjoyable if it is to be beneficial.